Distance education gives you the flexibility to acquire a university degree without the need to visit a campus often. As a learner in distance education, you study the program content through a number of means including the use of online discussion forums, electronic library resources, and by contacting faculty, and receiving all study materials online. Distance education programs at SRM IST can be pursued without time and place constraints.
Features of SRM IST Directorate of Distance Education
Distance Education is an important arena in Higher Education, in the achievement of equal educational opportunities for those who do not have access to traditional classroom based learning. The Directorate of Distance Education (DDE), SRM IST holds a great potential to turning itself into a leading source of knowledge acquisition and skill development to enhance learning experience and help in life-long learning. The programs have been designed to be job-oriented and industry-relevant. The learners would have opportunities in exposing themselves to a multiplicity of learning experiences in the form of self-learning materials, face-to-face counseling and Web-based resources. Here are some of the features of DDE under SRM IST:
- Sourcing knowledge from different quarters including industries.
- Technology-based delivery systems that ensure greater participation from students.
- Priority given to skill- development wherever possible.
- Providing quality education by combining the best practices available in both on-campus and distance education models.
- Scientific and objective evaluation system establishing credibility and standing for SRM IST Degrees, Diplomas, and Certificates.
- Online mentoring by industry practitioners and professionals wherever possible.
- Content development teams leveraging scientific methods in the development of learning/reference materials and practices to create and promote cognitive learning experiences.
- To emerge as a World – Class hub of knowledge acquisition and skill development.
- To provide Higher education to a vast majority of population with a unique learner-centric model of education.
- To make distance education socially-relevant, industry- oriented, and inclusive in all respects.
- To achieve the status of Centre of Excellence in Distance Learning arena.
- To be flexible and accessible to a vast majority of the adult learners.
- To make learners accomplish a high degree of academic achievement and cherish their association with the SRM IST forever.
- To develop a knowledge repository of international standard and to be relevant globally.
- To be in the forefront in building human resources by fostering freedom, empowerment, creativity and innovations.
Delivery methodology in SRM IST Distance learning programs is unique in many aspects. The distinct mode of imparting education at SRM IST relies on technology to take its academic programs to the doorsteps of learners far and wide. The system is more learner-oriented and the learner has to be an active participant in the learning process. It combines the features of conventional wisdom and the benefits of technology – driven techniques. A multi-channel approach is followed in knowledge acquisition. It comprises of the following support services:
- Self-learning material
- Assignments, Practical, Projects and Case studies with real time exposure
- Digital library resources
- Study material provided online
- Webinars of some periodicity
- Access to recorded lectures online and teachers who guide and support learners
- Study groups and online discussion forums
- Week-end or online orientation sessions
- Social Media groups for exchange of information and peer group interaction.